SOAR: SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access and Recovery for people experiencing homelessness and mental illness
In this 3-hour session, you will learn basic information about SOAR and Social Security disability programs. Learning objectives for the SOAR Basics course are to:
1. Provide baseline knowledge of the Social Security disability programs, definition of disability and application process
2. Understand Social Security’s definition of disability to help determine appropriate referrals
3. Understand the benefits of the SOAR process for helping individuals experiencing homelessness and mental illness to apply for disability benefits
4. Learn how to improve your referrals and help collect helpful evidence
5. Develop basic understanding of work incentives, rep-payee services, and other issues that impact a person’s benefits once they’re approved
Who should attend:
Anyone interested in learning more about the Social Security disability and the SOAR process for adults experiencing homelessness and mental illness.
Case managers/advocates who provide minimal assistance to individuals applying for disability benefits and would like to learn some basic information
Supervisors of case managers/advocates who assist individuals with
applying for disability benefits
Anyone who has attended a Full SOAR Training in the past and would like a refresher
You do not need to commit to a Full SOAR Training in order to attend a “Basics” session.
SOAR Basics trainings are coordinated by Minnesota Department of Human Services and MESH.
Need based scholarships are available. We don’t want cost to be a barrier.