SOAR FUNDAMENTALS: ASSISTING PEOPLE APPLYING for SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY BENEFITS
SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) is a national program designed to increase access to Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits for individuals who are experiencing or at risk of becoming homeless. Individuals must have a physical or mental health impairment that will last more than a year and have significant functional impairments that affect their ability to do work activities.
SOAR Online Course
The SOAR online course provides information about the Social Security disability programs and key elements of the SOAR model. The training can be completed at your own pace. It is a series of articles, short quizzes, and a practice case component. The practice case provides an opportunity for trainees to apply what they have learn by completing a Social Security disability application packet using the SOAR model. The complete application packet is submitted to the SOAR Technical Assistance (TA) Center for review. Upon approval, the participant will receive a certificate of completion and 20 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). To enroll in the SOAR online course go to https://soarworks.prainc.com/course/ssissdi-outreach-access-and-recovery-soar-online-training.
SOAR Fundamentals is a 2 day training providing information about the Social Security disability programs and disability determination process. Individuals will learn how to use the SOAR model to complete Social Security disability applications and learn about SOAR process in Minnesota. This training is intended to supplement the information learned in the SOAR Online Course with additional information about Minnesota’s SOAR implementation or as a refresher course. It is recommended individuals complete the SOAR Online training before enrolling in this course. This course does not take the place of the requirement to successfully complete the SOAR Online Course for DHS-contracted providers.
What will I learn?
- In-depth, step-by-step explanation of the Social Security disability application and disability determination process
- How to effectively complete an application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Minnesota’s implementation of the SOAR model
- How to screen potential clients
- Strategies for engaging clients in the application process
- Practical application tools by completing exercises and worksheets
Who should attend?
- DHS-contracted SOAR providers, case managers, outreach workers, PATH providers and advocates who assist or will assist individuals’ disability application processes
- Anyone who completed the SOAR online course and would like a refresher.
Questions? If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com
Questions about registration or payment? If you have any questions about registration or payment, please send an email to Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trainings coming in 2020:
Open the Training Homepage to register.